Free Chicken Saddle Pattern for Large Chickens
Enthusiastic large roosters can easily damage a hen’s back feathers when mating. A chicken saddle provides a protective shield that prevents a hen from getting bald spots.
There are many saddles on the market, but most won’t fit larger fowl. It’s actually very easy to create your own large fowl saddle with a pattern. We created a printable chicken saddle pattern for large and extra-large breeds.
Remark: This is the pattern for larger fowl. We have several other chicken saddle patterns for other chicken breeds.
Leave your name and e-mail, and you can open and download the free PDF immediately.
By giving your e-mail address, you’ll subscribe to the newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time.
This sewing pattern includes the following:
- Sizes: M, L, XL
- Difficulty: *
- Fabric: old clothes
- Print Size: Tabloid, Ledger
- Parts: Saddle
- Binding: adjustable elastic around the wings
The elastic can freely move from left to right, so putting it onto your chickens becomes much easier.
Most Suitable Use
This large chicken saddle pattern can be used for:
- Large Breeds: Brahma, Orpington, Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, Sussex, and other large chicken breeds
- Protection of the saddle feathers
To create the saddle, you will need the following:
- printer to print Tabloid format or Adobe to split the Tabloid-sized pattern into letter-sized prints
- some fabric from old clothes, left-overs from a quilting-supply store, or fat quarters with a print that fits your breed
- essential quilting tools like scissors, rulers, needles, and pins
- elastic band
- a sewing machine
- our chicken saddle sewing pattern
How to Make
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Follow these steps to create a chicken saddle for Large Breeds
- Print the Chicken Saddle Pattern for Large Breeds
The chicken saddle pattern PDF is in Tabloid format. If you can not print Tabloid with your printer, you can use Acrobat Reader to split the template over several Letter or A4 pages. In the print dialog of Acrobat, click on the Poster button in the Page Sizing & Handling section. You can split the tabloid-sized pattern into sections on letter-sized paper there.
- Cut the Pattern and Create the Chicken Saddle
When you have the print, you can proceed to create the chicken saddle pattern by following the step-by-step instructions in our visual guide on how to make a chicken saddle pattern
Some possible adjustments:
- You can put in some extra filling to make the harness more sturdy. As the saddle is pretty large, it can curl up or fly away in the wind. An extra filling can give it some more body to withstand the large claws of a giant rooster.
- You can foresee extra fabric on the upper neck if you have large birds or trouble folding the fabric.
- You can add wing protectors and/or a tail guard if the saddle doesn’t cover all areas to protect. You can use our pattern for wing protectors and tail guard. Adjust the size to fit your large birds.
Some possible alternatives:
- You can use the basic large chicken saddle pattern for larger regular fowl