Top 100 Chicken Names (+ Name Generator)
If you’re looking for the best chicken names, you’ve come to the right place!
From classic names like Nugget to unique monikers such as Buttercup: we’ve got you covered!
Whether you want a funny, cute, or classy name for all chickens of your backyard flock or just a name that reflects the chickens’ personality, we’ll get you on the way. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in the lists, you can also head to our chicken name generator for even more inspiration!
Let’s get started by addressing the best chicken names per category.
- Top traditional chicken names
- Best names for hens
- Best names for roosters
- Moviestar names
- Mythical chicken names
- Funny chicken names
- Celebrity chicken names
- Disney chicken names
- Best chicken names for giant breeds
- Best chicken names for bantams
Top traditional chicken names
Traditional names will last a lifetime and never go out of style. Especially when your family can’t agree on any name, a traditional one can be a safe choice as it does not have too many references or weird sounds.
Here are our top 10 traditional chicken names:
Best names for hens
Not all breeds can be sexed the day after hatching, so maybe you’ll have to be patient to name your chicken until you’re sure of its gender. On the other hand, there’s nothing wrong with renaming your chicken after you’ve determined the sex: Henrietta becomes Henry, and Gerald becomes Geraldine.
Here are our top 10 names for female chickens:
Want to see more girly chicken names? Check out our complete list of 100+ girly chicken names.
Best Names for roosters
Roosters are the protectors of the flock, guardians of your hens, and heads of the pecking order. So maybe you want to name them accordingly? Finding a rooster’s name can be more challenging as many more options are available for female chickens. But don’t forget many names can be used for both male and female birds. Think about color or food references (Cinnamon, Brownie, Mango,…). Here are our best picks for male chicken names.
Here are our best picks for a rooster name:
Everybody has a favorite movie or a favorite movie star. Maybe you want to give your chickens an original name from that movie? It’ll sound funny and catchy, and everybody will love it.
Here are our top 10 movie star chicken names:
- Cluck Norris
- The Dude
- Henneth Paltrow
- Russel Crow
- Princess Lay-A
- Atilla The Hen
Mythical chicken names
Ancient mythologies can be an excellent inspiration for any pet name! There are hundreds of possibilities, and all will give your chickens a sophisticated name. Because of its originality, people will remember your chickens’ names, which can be a great conversation starter. ‘Hey, how’s Zeus doing?’
Here are our top picks for mythical chicken names:
Funny chicken names
There’s nothing wrong with a quick giggle whenever you have to pronounce your chickens’ names. Imagine being at the vet’s office and saying, ‘Oh, it seems like little Psycho here has a small cough.’ Off course, what is funny to you, may not be funny to everybody, so pick a funny name that isn’t insulting if you don’t want things to get awkward.
Our top 10 funny chicken names:
- Peter Pecker
Want to see more funny chicken names? Check out our complete 100+ funny chicken names list.
Celebrity chicken names
Celebrities, movie stars, scientists, musicians, and other famous people have always been a source of inspiration. Naming your chickens after one of your favorite tabloid subjects can be very tempting. There are plenty of examples, but you can always come up with your own ideas.
Our top 10 celebrity chicken names:
- Oprah Henfrey
- Hennifer Lopez
- Yolko Ono
- Heidi Plume
- Amelia Egghart
- David Beakham
- Albert Eggstein
- Jennifer Heniston
- George Cluckney
Disney chicken names
Choosing chicken names can be a great activity to do with your kids. Maybe they’ve recently seen an animated movie that they adored. My guess is there are many chickens called ‘Elsa’ these days! It’s a popular name with a recognizable reference to most children. But why not go for something more original?
Our top 10 list of favorite Disney and other animated movies chicken names:
- Boo boo chicken
Cute Chicken Names
We all know chickens can be the cuddliest and sweetest backyard pets. So why not give them a name that suits their cuteness? Cute chicken names are also popular with children. They are funny and adorable, and your kids will love them.
Our top picks for cute chicken names:
- Cheese Puff
Want to see more cute chicken names? Check out our complete list of 100+ Cute Chicken Names.
Best chicken names for giant breeds
There are many large chicken breeds, one even bigger than the other. It can be a bit strange to name a Jersey Giant Buttercup, but that’s totally up to you! If you’re thinking about giving your large birds a robust name, we can help you with that.
Here are our top 10 choices for large chicken’s names:
- Big Bertha
Best chicken names for bantams
Small chicken breeds like Silkies or Bantams are always fluffy and cute. Furthermore, they’re often kept as pet chickens and are suitable for families with small children. Why not let your kids decide on a great chicken’s name? You can always guide them in the right direction with the help of our list.
Top 10 chicken names for small breeds:
- Tiny Tim
Things to keep in mind when choosing a chicken name
Brainstorming for a good name can be all fun and dandy, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind when you are choosing a name for your chicken:
- Keep it simple: choose a name that’s easy to call, especially if you plan on using their names a lot. After all, chickens can learn their names!
- Avoid offensive names: while it can be fun to come up with uncle puns, stay away from inappropriate or offensive names that are racist, sexist, or vulgar.
- Consider gender: if you have a large flock, it can help to give the Roosters a recognizable name, like Rocky or Magnus.
- Consider Size: pick a name that fits the size of your chicken. Do you want to name your Silkie Godzilla?
- Have fun: don’t be afraid to think of funny names. Naming should be a fun and creative process!
Did we mention that name-picking is also a fun activity to do with family and friends? Let the kids join in on the decision.
Some Tips for Coming up With Even More Funny Chicken Names
Now, if all these names still left you empty-handed, here are some tips you can use to come up with other chicken names:
- Size of the Chicken: Are you dealing with big fowl or bantams? Think of names like Bigfoot or Tiny.
- Color: look at the color patterns on the chick’s down or the plumage of the chickens. Do they remind you of an Oreo? Simple names like Miss Grey or Mister Black are obvious but recognizable choices.
- Feather Patterns: do your chickens have a specific pattern in their plumage? If your hen is mottled, you could call her Dotty.
- Use puns: Puns are always a great source of inspiration for funny chicken names. Think of words that sound similar to anything chicken related, like hen, egg, pullet, feather, cluck, … Then combine those words to come up with something. Think of hobbies and things you see in your daily life. Tough chicken? What about Cluck Norris. Fan of Star Wars? What about Dart Feather?
- Pop culture and celebrities: draw inspiration from artists, singers, movie characters, TV shows, or anything else pop culture related. Have you seen Hennifer Aniston last night? Science fan? What about Albert Eggstein.
- Food: get creative with food. We all love eating eggs, so what about a hen named omelette? What about a brown chicken called Cappucino?
- Personality: most chickens have a specific personality. If your chicken is frolic, you could name her Happy. If you have two escape artists, they could be Penn & Teller. A rescued hen could be Lucky!
- Look at the Gender: Is your chicken a hen or a rooster? What name would fit?
Let the Computer Generate a Name!
If you still need more inspiration, you can check out our chicken name generator:
Just pick the size of your fowl, its gender, and what category of names you want to generate. You can choose to generate amusing names, clever puns based on movies and superstars, or derive names from mythical characters.
And in case you are still looking further, we have even additional lists with all kinds of chicken names for you to pick from:
- 100+ Funny Chicken Names: a collection of fun and clever chicken names
- 100+ Cute Chicken Names: a collection of cute names for hatchlings, chicks, and just cuties
- 100+ Female Chicken Names: an entire list dedicated to hen names for egg layers
Good luck picking a name for your chicken. And let us know what you went for!
Whether you want to name your chickens or not is up to you. But if you do, try and find a name that suits your chickens by their characteristics, personality, or breed. We’ve tried to give you a head start in the search for that perfect chicken name! If you haven’t found what you want, try our Chicken Name Generator with plenty more examples of funny and original chicken names.